As an affiliate, what is the best kind of link to use?
What a question. If more affiliates would listen to the answer of this question, they would make much more in commissions. I have nothing to back this claim up, but I would guarantee that hundreds of millions of affiliate commissions go unearned every year because the wrong kind of links are used.
I did an analysis on our two sites (MyWeddingFavors.com, CornerStorkBabyGifts.com) and here were the conclusions I discovered. All of these conclusions are based on year-to-date.
- For MyWeddingFavors.com, 7 of the top 10 performing links(EPC) were text links.
- The top 3 links were all text links, and they were all coupon code (free shipping, 10% off, 5% off) related!
- In addition, the conversion rates of these 3 links were over triple what the others came in at.
Join our Wedding Affiliate Program
- Of the top 10 converting links for the year, 9 of them were text links!
- The top converting link and most lucrative was a coupon related text link.
- All but two of the top 10 links were either coupon related or were discount related (gifts under $50, affordable baby gifts, etc…) in some way.
In case you missed the point. The best converting affiliate links you can use are text links that offer a coupon code or mention some sort of discount. Here’s what I’ve discovered. Internet shoppers are looking for a deal. Anything that’s “in your face” such as large banners, they don’t believe. It screams obnoxious, scammer, etc… Text links they do believe. Subtle sells. A text link comes across as a recommendation. A text link mentioning a coupon code or discount turns your recommendation into a timely treasured secret.
Think about a time when you walked into Best Buy. If an employee walked up to you right when you walked in and said, “Hey, don’t tell anyone but if you buy a DVD today and tell the cashier SAVE10 when you checkout, she’ll give you 10% off.” Guess what, if that happened to me, I’m making a beeline to the movies.
- Jason Forthofer